Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Domestic Goddess

Seems the domestic goddess will be coming out in me even more this year.  While not an official resolution, we will try this year to be even better with what we eat. I myself look forward to having a garden again.  Last year we did not have one since the house was on the market and we did not plan on staying here. 

Well now we are staying and it is time to plan a garden for the summer.  Plus, we will still be here to enjoy the fruit trees too.  The boys will definitely be thrilled about that.  So other than fresh produce, what are we doing?  I would have to say my biggest issue is cutting down on processed food.  While we do not early nearly as much as the average American, I still would like to cut down.

So that means a couple things.  Sticking to local products (we LOVE our farmer's market Saturdays together as a family), buying brands we trust (such as Newman's Own, Kashi and Cascadian Farms) and you guessed it, making more things myself.

We recently had homemade graham crackers again.  They truly are better than anything you could ever buy in the store, plus I know exactly what ingredients are in them!  Tonight we'll have homemade baked beans.  The list is endless.  We also make our own power/treat bars.  I'm still tweaking that recipe; the last batch was a little dry.  I also plan on baking more bread.  We do so love good bread and homemade is the best, no  preservatives there.

Will I save money, probably not.  Will I save time, absolutely not.  BUT, I will be able to feed my family foods that we enjoy and I know are better for us.

No comments: