Sunday, August 28, 2011

Adventures in Food

While we are lucky that all three boys are good eaters, I dread that someday they will truly eat us out of house and home!  Jack is not even four years old and can already pack away the food sometimes.  He will frequently comment "but I only got one snack".  If he is hungry after his nap he sometimes expects to get three or four snacks!

We continue to strive to feed them well.  While they do still get "junk food" we try to limit it in amount as well as nutritional value.  If I do give them that type of food I prefer it be from Trader Joe's as it will have minimal preservatives and additives.  They boys all love the Jo Jo's from there....Trader Joe's version of the oreo.  They do so take after their daddy, my snack monsters!

I also started making more of their favorites from scratch.  Today I made some protein bars for Josh.  That is his breakfast every morning since he can eat it in the car on the way to work, or at least take it to work.  I also just froze another batch of waffles, this time sweet potato waffles.  It's nice to have options for the kiddos on weekday mornings that are quick and nutritious.  They like the waffles toasted.  The whole wheat waffles they like made into peanut butter waffle sandwiches.  My next experiment is homemade graham crackers.  They looked yummy, just need to find graham flour.

I am working on becoming more organized planning weekly meal plans.  It just makes life easier for me, especially with the grocery shopping.  The goal is to limit it to one trip a week, though that can be difficult with the amount of milk we go through!!

Sean has recently discovered beets.  I cooked up some carrots and beets the other day and mixed it with our pear sauce.  He inhaled that!!  It's nice to know where the food comes from...the pears were from out trees and the beets from our garden.  Nothing like directly from the source!!  He is also enjoying his almond butter sandwiches.  Last night we also started mixing whole milk into his formula.  We will gradually add a little more week so that by his first birthday he'll be drinking just milk.  Wish us luck....with Jack and Ewan they both got horrible diarrhea when they began milk!

Jack and Ewan definitely are mommy's dairy state boys.  They LOVE their cheese!!  After I returned from Trader Joe's yesterday we had cheese, salamis and baguette for dinner.  The boys couldn't get enough cheese, and they do have expensive taste, not your typical toddler cheese taste.  They like gouda, goat cheese, honey gouda and their favorite last night was our favorite too, the mango stilton from Trader Joe's.  I had to hunt down the last package of it!!

I am proud that my boys are such good eaters.  I always refused to be one of those parents that caters to their children.  They eat what we eat.  They must TRY everything.  If they truly dislike something I will let them have something else, but still a complete well rounded meal.  They certainly still get treats, but only after eating well.  It is nice to be able to take them to any restaurant and know they will eat off a normal menu.  No processed chicken nuggets for us!

So there you have it, the eating habits of the Dalrymple boys.  Piggy little guys, but definitely not picky or porky.  They certainly to burn most of their caloric intake with all their energy!!

No comments: