Thursday, July 5, 2012

Preserving more of our Garden Goodies

This morning I made yellow tomatoe and basil jam.  I had two rather large bowls of yellow cherry tomatoes and could not possibly eat them all.  I came across this recipe and figured what could it hurt!  So I cut my EIGHT POUNDS of tomatoes in half and made it.  I wasn't quite done by the time the boys got home from their trip to the mountains with Oma and Opa.  That being said, I got distracted and did not carefully check it before I canned it.  Not sure if it is supposed to be more saucy or not, but it is definitely not "jam" like.  Still smells and tastes good.  I will be putting it on some pork chops to grill tonight.

First I had to sort all the tomatoes.



Yummy grape tomatoes. 



Yellow cherry tomatoes ready for jam.



Red tomatoes, next in line for preserving.



11 jelly jars (half pint) and 3 pint jars
of yellow tomato and basil jam.
I also have a big bowl left that didn't fit in all the jars
so I will use some of that tonight!!


I suppose I'll be making some salsa VERY SOON with more tomatoes, peppers and cilantro from the garden.  I can't say I really enjoy canning, especially with three boys to keep out of trouble.  I do, however, look forward to enjoying our garden goodies throughout the year!  First, where to store it all????

No comments: