Sunday, July 8, 2012

Not My Labor of Love

Today it was time to can again.  This is definitely not my favorite thing to do.  It is so much work, and all for what seems like so little reward.  I put in all the work of peeling and seeding tomatoes, chopping herbs, peppers and onions and all I got was three quarts and one half pint of salsa.  I WILL NEVER AGAIN QUESTION HIGH PRICES AT THE FARMER'S MARKET FOR HOMEMADE CANNED GOODS!!!!

It all began this morning with picking a few more tomatoes from the garden.  I got some cilantro and decided it was not going to be enough.  Instead I opted for basil.  I wanted to try something different.  I like the peach and pineapple salsas a lot (especially Newman's Own) so figured I would go for a sweet and spicy salsa too.  I used everything from the garden (yellow and red tomatoes, poblano and cayenne peppers, basil, ground cherries) and onion from the store. 

It was a long process.....I bribed the boys with a movie.  This helped keep them out of my way!!  It worked pretty well.  By the time the movie was over I had everything done (chopping, peeling, seeding, dicing) and the salsa was cooking on the stove. 

The boys played upstairs while I took a shower.  We came down and it was time to can the salsa.  It seems like hardly anything after so much work!!!  Time will tell if it tastes good.  I learned a few things too....I chopped all the tomatoes because we like chunky salsa.  Next time, however, I think I will put some in the food processor and chop some.  It should give me a better consistency and save a little time.  I will also process the herbs and peppers. 

Always something to learn.  I still do not understand how people actually LIKE canning.  I definitely do not! 

Everything from the garden (the white and yellow little balls are
the ground cherries thawing from the freezer)


Diced onions, chopped basil, minced peppers and halved ground cherries


One bowl not even full of chopped yellow and red tomatoes


One very messy cutting board and workspace after peeling,
seeding and chopping tomatoes!!!


Bowl with tomato peels and seeds


Salsa cooking on the stove


All that work and here is what I have
to show for it!!!


No comments: