Monday, May 17, 2010

Travel Bug

Oma's been traveling out west and I've enjoyed her journey on the blog...but now I've got the travel bug.  Ah, to go out West again.  She's driving Miss Jasmine (her convertible) out to Seattle to give to my brother.  She got a new car a few weeks ago.  She's even managed to go 767 miles one of the days...something I could never do with my little guys.  I remember fondly the day when travel was different!

Life was great as a kid.  We always had at least one big family vacation a year...not visiting family.  As we all know, visiting family just isn't vacation....we used to go to Ohio and would visit both sets of grandparents, multiple aunts, uncles, cousins, friends...it was draining.  At least we don't have it so bad now, Josh and I each only have one sibling and my parents live here so we don't need to visit them.

We had so many fun trips growing up....several out West, New England.  They are all memorable for so many reasons.  One of the more memorable was to Texas.  We were due to leave the day after Christmas only I was very sick.  So Christmas Day I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with Asian Flu...sick, but well enough to travel.  Needless to say I slept most of the drive down to Corpus Christi.  Then on the way home we stopped at a doc in the box for my mom...she was diagnosed with bronchitis!!  What adventures!!!

Anyway I'm learning now that travel as an adult with kids is different.  I recently heard a great quote on Modern Family from a stay at home mom regarding travel with her kids, "I'm not on  vacation, it's a business trip"!!  That is indeed true!!  You need to child proof everything and watch the kids even closer than at home.  Hopefully it will get better as they get a little older....and thank heaven my parents didn't let that stop them from taking us all on vacations!  Needless to say they endured their share of kids bickering in the back seat!!

So I digress....the point is I've got the travel bug and really want to go somewhere on VACATION!!  Oh well, I'll have to wait until September.  Even though I'll be HUGE by then and we'll have the kids it still should be a nice vacation.  With 8 adults there are plenty of people to watch the kids and pamper me!!  We've got a trip to Ohio in early June, but again, it's visiting family so it's not a vacation.  Besides, I'll be driving up with the boys by myself....definitely WORK!!!!

Anyway, I guess I should give some kind of update on the boys I suppose.  Actually they are looking forward to vacation too...they talk about Uncle Nick Nick ALL the time.  It's kind of odd since they only see him once or twice a year, but they definitely remember him and liked him A LOT!  Jack also can't wait to see his cousins in June and really can't wait to see Mary Kate at the wedding (his second cousin whom he ADORES)!

Ewan is getting his eye teeth and is thus fussy.  Jack is pretty much the same.  So in other words not much new news here.  Maybe soon!

No comments: