Thursday, December 6, 2012

Living in a Daze

There have been no updates due to the daze in which I am living.  After Thanksgiving four of us got sick.  It started with Sean and a high fever Sunday.  Ewan came home from school Monday looking awful.  He then had a high fever.  I felt it coming on.  Josh got it later.  Jack avoided it.

So here I am sick yet taking care of everyone else.  Somehow we survived!  By Friday I was starting to feel human again.  Then life really threw us a curve ball.  Jack fell down upstairs and hit his chin hard.  After the crying stopped I was able look a little and thought he might need to go to the ER.  Then when he said he could not eat I knew it was serious. 

I called Josh and he came home.  Jack was adamant about both of us going with him.  Oma and Opa had already left for the mountains.  We packed a bag of snacks and drinks and arrived at the ER around 6PM on a Friday night.  Luckily it was not too terribly long before we were called back.  We did wait in the room forever though.  We watches TV which was stuck on Tvland.  The boys ate all their snacks and finished their drinks.  Long story short....after an xray and CT scan we found out his right jaw was fractured.  We left the hospital at 11:30 and got Taco Bell for dinner at midnight while the boys slept in the car.  Then we got pain meds and antibiotics at the 24 hour pharmacy. By the time Jack went to bed it was 1AM.

We struggled through the weekend eating smoothies and very soft food.  Jack discovered a love for pumpkin eggnog.  Whatever it takes to keep the calorie count up!  Monday we went to the plastic surgeon.  Surgery was set for Wednesday.  I also went to the Minute Clinic Monday and got medicine for a sinus infection. 

Wednesday we left the house just after 5AM to go to the hospital (Oma and Opa already had Ewan and Sean overnight).  Jack was a trooper with everyone coming and going in his room.  He even did not cry when they took him back.  He came through very well.  They installed an arch bar and rubber banded his mouth shut.  They even let him go home (we thought we would be spending the night).

It was a very rough day.  He wanted the rubber bands out and even took a couple out himself.  Worse yet he had sore eyes and was hysterical.  Finally at nearly bedtime Josh was able to get drops in.

After all this I felt horrible.  I was not taking my medicine or drinking enough since I was too busy with Jack.  Wish us luck today.

More updates and pics from the phone if I ever find the time!

No comments: