Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Another Productive Weekend

Josh is really testing my "handy" skills.  Saturday he recruited ME, as in not a bunch of big and strong men, to put up the first truss on the garage.  It is a good thing the boys can't take video and post to you tube!  It was quite the sight to be seen.

My dear sweet husband is rather tall, and I am not.  So when he started raising the truss he could go much faster than me.  He would keep going and I could not reach any higher!  Somehow we managed to get it up, but just as we thought we were about done we could tell it was going to fall.  Needless to say we ran back and out of the way!  Luckily it did not fall all the way to the ground, just back to the original position of hanging upside down.

At least this time I knew to find a different position and we got it up a little better.  Not came the "harder part".  ME holding it up for what seemed like AGES!!  Josh would get on the ladder only to discover it was not centered.  So he had to get the sledge hammer and move it.  I'm STILL holding it!  Then he had to put up some supports for it, moving the ladder and changing positions.  I don't know how long it was, but my shoulder was sore and I had had it.  In the end, we got it up, and three days later it is still up!!  I do not intend to help with the rest of the trusses!!!

The other project for the weekend was cutting down the willow trees around the deck.  This was a job the boys loved.  They helped hold the rope and pull the tree away from the house while Josh was at work with the chain saw.  They cheered when they helped pull the trees down.

The best part for them, however, was riding in the Stick of Butter (aka OLD RUSTY Subaru wagon) and pulling the trees to the side of the road.  They huddled in the back seat together and were screaming because they were so excited.  They also all got to take a turn sitting in Daddy's lap and "driving". 

Quite the backyard this weekend!!
Maybe someday we will have grass again.
I will work on garage pictures, but in the background you can see the
truss we put up!!!

The Stick of Butter hauling away the felled trees.
 

Three very excited boys!!

No comments: