Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Potty Training

We are now on day 10 of potty training Sean and it is going pretty well.  Yesterday was completely accident free (assuming you do not count when his aim is bad and he gets is shorts wet anyway)!   He likes being a big boy and using the potty.  He is still a little unreliable telling us if he needs to go or not.

The biggest challenge is going to the gym or out and about.  Since he is young he is still a little small for a full size toilet.  That makes it a little challenging to go out and get him to use the bathroom elsewhere.  We have been to the gym twice this week though and not had any accidents there!!  YEAH!  No accidents at nap time either.

We are more old school compared to most people these days who potty train.  We do no believe in pull ups.  Either you are training in underwear or not at all.  I know far too many children who take a long time to grasp the concept of potty training because they wear pull ups.  Now he does wear a diaper at night, but only because he is still young.  The studies I have read suggest wearing a diaper at night for about 3 months when they train around age two.  We did this with Jack and Ewan and it worked well.  Again, I know many children who are still in pull ups until age four or even five.

This is what works for us.  Obviously it does not work for everyone else.  It takes commitment and patience (we all know I have NO PATIENCE)!  In the end, however, I find that it works the best.  Besides, I was already able to get rid of all Sean's cloth diapers....which meant taking one of his dressers out of his room and putting it in my closet!!  Plus, now I can sell the cloth diapers.

Congrats to my big boy!!

No comments: