Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fun in Portland

After the drive from Tillamook we arrived in Portland.  It was a shock to our systems.  We were on highways the whole trip and in small towns.  We finally hit rush hour traffic in a big city!!  We survived and finally got to the hotel.

We checked in and unpacked the car.  It was time to sit back and relax.  Josh went to the grocery store and got supplies to have dinner in the room...bread, wine, our cheese we got in Tillamook, salami, salad, blueberries etc.   After dinner we enjoyed some time in the hotel pool.  It was great to have time to just relax and play with the boys.  They showed off how well they can swim now, thanks to lessons during camp at my gym.  They slept well that night, Jack and Ewan sharing a bed and Sean on the floor (beds were too high for him to share, afraid he would fall out).

Friday we headed to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry after breakfast.  It was a wonderful place.  I wish we had a museum like this at home, the boys and I could spend hours and hours there and learn so much and have tons of fun!!  I took Jack and Ewan on the submarine tour (Sean was too young).  Then we all met in the toddler playroom (HUGE) and headed to the rest of the museum for learning and fun.  By the end (was already past lunch time) we had seen only a fraction of the place and watched an IMAX movie (the boys were excited about this).

Jack and Ewan checking things out inside the submarine


The submarine on the river, just outside of the museum


Hooking up the hoses just the right way to accomplish maximum launch


All my boys working on their design


Getting the pie pans to fly off Ewan's hand


A sleepy Sean with his hair sticking out!!


We headed into the city for an outdoor store where we found Sean some adorable Toms shoes.  Josh and I could have spent a lot more time here, but alas the kids were restless and running all over the place.  We headed down several blocks and found lots of food trucks.  It was a tough choice but the boys got pizza and Josh and I had Vietnamese fusion (me the burrito, Josh the tacos).  YUMMY!!  I so wish we had more food trucks here.  It took some work keeping the boys out of trouble, city traffic and all.  Then we headed to VooDoo Doughnuts.  There was a line, despite it being nearly 4PM.  Oh well, tourist trap I'm sure.

Back at the hotel, after more rush hour traffic, we ate our donuts.  They were tasty.  Sean nodded off since he only had a few catnaps in the car during the whole busy day.  Josh took Jack and Ewan to the pool.  After Sean woke up we joined them in the pool and had lots of fun.  After lots of fun and swimming and splashing we went to the room, cleaned up and had another carpet picnic for dinner. 

Jack proud of his box of donuts!


Enjoying their tasty goodies!


Sean got the donut shaped like a voodoo doll, a pretzel as a pin in it!


Saturday after breakfast we packed up.  The FINAL time!!  We checked up and headed to Trader Joe's for picnic supplies.  We drove to a park and plopped ourselves down for a picnic.  The boys played, we relaxed and we watched the Thunderbirds fly overhead.  Overall a nice afternoon.  Despite the near 100 degree temps, it was not humid like here and in the shade there was a lovely breeze.

After the park we drove to a restaurant on the river for Josh's final chance to get dungeness crab.  He did indeed get on, I had a superb salad.  More importantly, Josh and I had huckleberry lemon drop cocktails.  I think it was the best cocktail I have ever had.  Had I known there was a huckleberry vodka I would have been looking for it.  Unfortunately, we headed to the airport right after dinner.

This is when the adventure began again.  Josh dropped of me, along with Sean, Ewan, one car seat, one large wheeled bag and three backpacks.  It was HOT.  I managed to get us all in the building and sat down, now sweating quite a bit.  Josh and Jack went to return the rental.  We were sitting for maybe all of three minutes when Ewan announces "I have to poop".  Great, I have to haul all this STUFF AND TWO KIDS to the bathroom.  I get them ready, Sean runs off in the wrong direction.  Ewan runs after and pushes him down while trying to stop him.  After a few tears we are headed in the right direction.

I am directing the boys, trying to keep them in line and out of trouble.  I am struggling with the car seat and HUGE suitcase.  After MANY looks and offers of help we make it to the bathroom.  Thank goodness.  Then the journey begins back to the check-in area.  As soon as we get out of the bathroom I notice Sean's nose is bleeding (likely from Ewan pushing him on the floor).  Luckily somebody at the security line gives me a tissue.  It takes LOTS of work, Sean running off all over, loss of I don't know how many nerves and too much stress, but we FINALLY get back. 

By now Josh and Jack just arrived.  So we check in.  Somehow this time they decided to charge us for our luggage.  PLUS both bags were too heavy, one by only ONE POUND.  So we move a pair of shoes from one bag to the other and only have to deal with only one surcharge (another $100).  Frankly, I'm just happy to be rid of all the big luggage.

We manage to get through security and arrive at the gate.  The boys are FULL of energy and run all over the place.  We are sit of chasing them.  I notice that the flight is delayed (we have NO time for this due to a VERY TIGHT connection).  Later Josh hears his name announced.  After some time there is finally somebody at the gate to help him.  Seems they decided to change us to a direct flight on another airline since clearly we would not make our connection.  They already had the two suitcases and two of the carseats moving to the other plane.  We figured there was plenty of time to find the third car seat, it was still a couple hours until takeoff.

So we gather the kids and head to the other gate.  Why were we not hear earlier (it is in another concourse)...they have a playground and a TV on Nick Jr.  HEAVEN!!  The kids play and we can sit for a while.  I  checked the Made in Oregon store, hoping to find huckleberry vodka.  No such luck.  Josh checked in since we did not have seat assignments.  He came back and gave me the good news, Josh and I had seats.  The kids did not.  Well this was grand.  Apparently before they moved us to this flight they did not pay attention to seats....only exit row available (no kids allowed here). 

After a while she came back and we all had seats.  The bad news was the one of us would have to sit with all the kids.  The other would get to sit in the exit row, several rows away.  I finally volunteered to take the kids, hoping they would sleep well (that and fearing what the payback would be if Josh took them all)!

And so our night of fun began.  We finally boarded...the flight was smooth.  Ewan and Sean were asleep almost as soon as the plane was off the ground.  All in all I guess it was tolerable, though I got all of 10-15 minutes of sleep.  Jack could not get comfortable so he slept on and off and complained a lot.  Ewan slept most of the time.  Sean started out well, but then he was uncomfortable in my lap and moved around a lot and fussed quite a big.  I managed to take them all to the bathroom once and Josh sat with them while I went.  It was an adventure.  I fed them to keep them quite.  I WAS EXHAUSTED!!

We arrived in Charlotte around 6:15 in the morning.  We got our luggage.  I sat outside with the kids and luggage, Josh got the car and picked us up.  It took a while to get all the car seats in, but we were finally on the road HOME!!!!

We had to stop to get breakfast since we had nothing at home, ate, unpacked, started laundry and then everyone napped for a couple hours before lunch.

And so was our adventure in Oregon.  I am not ready for another family vacation any time soon!!!

No comments: