Monday, December 5, 2011

How I Spent My Child-Free Weekend

One would think it would be fun and relaxing to be home without the kiddos.  Not quite true, though certainly more quiet and somewhat more relaxing than with the kids.  Friday around 2:30 Oma and Opa picked up all three boys and headed for the mountains.  The boys were very excited to be going to the mountains.  I think it truly is their favorite place.  They were in the car before Oma and Opa were even here!!

As I was packing their suitcase they got more and more excited.  I could hardly put anything in them as the boys wanted to play with the suitcases right away.  They have cute suitcases that they can pull or ride on.  It seems Sean is now interested in them too.  He really is getting to be a big boy and tries to do everything his big brothers do.  He pulled his suitcase as best he could, he couldn't get it over the threshhold between the family room and hallway but otherwise did fine.

Oma and Opa arrived and loaded up "Oma's bus", aka the minivan.  It was already at our house  since Josh put in Sean's seat the night before so the boys' things were already loaded up.  And then they were off!!  It was just me, Cosmo and my parents' dog now.  It seemed too quiet!

The "fun" began.  I cleaned downstairs, headed to Fresh Market to get goodies for dinner.  Not very exciting, but I could do it much faster than if the kids were here.  Then it got really "fun"....I spakled and sanded Sean's walls to prep them for painting.  I moved furniture to the middle of the room.  I took the dogs for a walk.

It was approaching dinner time and still no call from Josh.  He's been working extremely long hours lately and Friday was no exception.  He finally called around 7 and said it would be at least 8 by the time he could leave work.  So I cleaned some more and watched a little TV.  I finally gave in and had a little bit of dinner since I worked out and was extremely hungry.  Josh finally got home at 9:30 and we enjoyed dinner, wine and dessert together. 

Saturday morning we enjoyed being able to wake up on our own, though we can't sleep in due to our weekday routine and we were up by about 6:30.  But it was nice to be able to stay in bed without and kids coming in the room though!  We cleaned up, walked the dogs and headed out for breakfast.  Then it was off to Academy Sports.  I hadn't been able to check out the whole store yet since that is impossible with the kids.  I got  a new pair of running shoes and workout clothes.  We then went to Lowe's to get the paint for Sean's room and a few other things.  A few errands later and it was almost 10:30 by the time we got home and started on our projects.

Josh worked in the powder room (which he hoped to start Friday night but that obviously didn't happen) and I was in Sean's room.  We breaked for lunch after I finished the edges and Josh had pulled up the wood floor.  Then back to work.  I got most of the painting done.  I figured the only thing left was to edge the ceiling the next day (hoping it wouldn't need another coat of paint).  Then I got out Christmas decorations, cleaned, played with the dogs.

Josh's project involved drying time so he had lots of spare time.  He did what he could and then had to let it dry for at least 12 hours.  So he had time to play around fixing his rc plane.  No play time for me, yet. 

We went for an early dinner at Hunter Gatherer.  It's a great little place right near the state capitol.  It was a nice QUIET meal.  Nobody to feed but ourselves, what a luxury!  We watched a movie and just enjoyed the quiet.

Sunday I finished Sean's room while Josh layed tile.  I cleaned the upstairs, did laundry, ironed curtains, did dishes...seemed I was always doing something yet I can't really say what!  I went to the grocery store alone, how pleasant.  Before I knew it the boys were home before 5.  And then the quiet was over!!!

They were FULL of energy and all over the place.  They told us stories of their adventures and just ran all over the house yelling and screaming.  The quiet was a distant memory!!! 

After dinner we went to get our Christmas tree which got the boys all excited again.  It was a pleasant enough experience.  They ran around a lot and Sean always had a stick or small branch in his hand.  We got a smaller tree than our normal this year.  It is the first year we won't be able to block the tree with furniture and a pack 'n play so with Sean now mobile we may as well not tempt fate.  We got home, put the tree up and I decorated.  The boys were so excited, especially once the lights went on.  Since the tree was small I couldn't put all our ornaments on, so I had to prioritze what made it up.  Down low are the sacrificial ornaments, up high are the fragile ones!

And that was it.  Another crazy busy weekend, just without kids this time!  Now it's back to normal (with the added incovenience of having to use the upstairs bathrooms as Josh still needs to grout downstairs).  Up, cleaned and dressed before 5:30 in the morning and waiting for the kids to wake up (well Ewan got up before 5, went potty and is now comfy in our bed).  I'll work on getting pictures of Sean's room up soon (which by the way he loves).

No comments: